Monday, October 24, 2016

Zermatt

After showing so many pictures in my last two posts of the mountains surrounding Zermatt, Switzerland, I thought a few pictures of the town would be interesting. To prevent air pollution, the town is a combustion-engine car-free zone. Almost all vehicles are battery driven with exceptions being made for taxis or delivery trucks, which are electric.

Zermatt is very compact and you can walk almost anywhere within 30 minutes.

I took this picture from a bridge over the Matter Vispa, the river that runs through town and rises from the glaciers at the foot of the surrounding mountains. The river passed right by our hotel and since we slept with our windows open, it was a welcome sound, especially at night.

I took this picture as we stepped out of this bakery, where we ate lunch.

This house is located in the old part of Zermatt known as the Hinterdorf which consists of houses, barns, stables, and stores built between the 16th and 18th century. Many sit on flat stone slabs balanced on stilts to keep out mice. Considering the fact that they have been standing for hundreds of years, these buildings must be more stable than they look!

A close-up view of one of the flat stone slabs as I stood underneath it. Sorry it is a little blurry, but I was trying to keep my balance while standing on a hill and looking up to take the picture!

The clock tower of St. Mauritius Church.

Just behind St. Mauritius Church is Mountaineer's Cemetery, which is reserved for climbers who have perished on the Matterhorn or on the nearby mountains. Some of the graves have impressive memorials, are beautifully maintained and some even have artifacts like climbing ropes and ice axes attached.

A particularly interesting grave marker in Mountaineer's Cemetery.

14 comments:

biebkriebels said...

So nice to see the old houses still standing there and the sad graveyard with all the poor climbers who didn't make it.

Tanya Breese said...

great photos lois...the old houses are amazing! the mountaineer cemetery is sad and interesting.

bill burke said...

What an interesting and beautiful town. I like their solution for air pollution. The scenery is stunning, I want to move there now. :)

Lowell said...

My goodness, that place is like a fairy tale. So interesting and enchanting. Glad you didn't fall trying to take a photo of the concrete under the house. Those mice must have been something. I love the idea of no infernal combustion engines....must have been so quiet there! Not like I-75!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Wonderful series of images Lois, the views are spectacular from wherever you see them. Love the old houses and barns, they must have been brilliantly constructed all those years ago 😊

Karl Demetz said...

Lovely series, Lois !

Marleen said...

Beautiful photos! I can imagine hearing the sound of the river at night is wonderful :)

Sandra said...

I love this town, so beautiful and the photos show how sharp and clear the air is.. I like number 2 with all those balony's and the old buildings with the flower box. Wow... so lovely. I am trying to think how we could do this in USA....would be very hard.

William Kendall said...

What a beautiful town!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Love to see a town that is doing something positive about the environment... and love being able to walk everywhere -- great views of course.

RedPat said...

It looks like a wonderful place, Lois! The air must be so fresh & clean!

Revrunner said...

If I was a mouse, that stone would sure intimidate me! As for the stilts, I'm not sure those would deter me. I mean, mice can climb, can't they?! :-)

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Excelentes fotografias e gostei bastante daquela placa de cemitério.
Um abraço e boa semana.
Andarilhar

Sharon Anck said...

I love the views of the Matterhorn from here!