Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Pilatus

Did I mention that I love mountains? That's me down there on the viewing terrace in the blue jacket looking up at my daughter-in-law with my arm on the railing and the Bernese Alps behind me. We took the cogwheel train up to the summit of Mount Pilatus when we were staying in Lucerne, Switzerland. Once again, the weather was perfect and the views were spectacular. This was my second time on Mount Pilatus, but when I was there last year the weather was foggy and we couldn't see much. I'm so glad I went back.

In addition to the glorious views, it was fun to watch all the people paragliding around the summit.

Some of the paragliders swooped in very close to the terrace.

A view from the other side of the mountain. That is the Chapel Klimsenhorn perched on the edge of that cliff down there.

I zoomed in on the Chapel Klimsenhorn. I'm not sure how those people reached that area, but there were a lot of hikers that day.

We took the gondola back down to Lucerne and this dog and her owner enjoyed the ride with me. Her name is Dinka. We passed by the chapel from my previous pictures and you can see it there in the upper left corner of the gondola window.

16 comments:

bill burke said...

Stunning views Lois! That chapel is really on the edge, I wouldn't want to take a wrong step. :)
Enjoy you day!

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Fantásticas estas fotografias desta bela montanha.
Um abra├žo e boa semana.
Andarilhar

biebkriebels said...

Amazing how they have built the chapel up there. I once had almost a paraglider in my coffee on a terrace in Austria. He landed in front of the terrace, he scared everybody to death.

Marleen said...

These views are so beautiful! Your photos are like postcards.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Goodness the views are fabulous in every direction Lois, you captured them so beautifully. Love to watch the paragliders, what an feeling that must be.. not that I'm ever going to find out ☺

Lowell said...

Zounds! You are a very brave person! I think I've told you that before. And because you're brave you get to see and experience views like these. I cant do that. Just looking at some of these shots sets the butterflies to fluttering in my stomach! And that chapel...there ain't enough prayer in heaven to get me to go up to that place!

Love the dog, though It brought tears to my eyes because it looks like a carbon copy of our Haley who we lost about four years ago...

Sharon Anck said...

More fantastic pictures. What a spectacular view!

Sandra said...

your photos make me feel like I am there with you. what an amazing and gorgeous place it is... I love the photo of the porch hanging on the mountail. wow

William Kendall said...

What amazing views! I wonder what the dog thinks of it all.

Halcyon said...

There is certainly no shortage of beauty in Switzerland!

Taken For Granted said...

Terrific photos from the top of this mountain. I have always thought paragliders a bit nuts. We stopped at an overlook in the Rocky Mountains and a large number of paraglider were just about to take off. The instructor was there in a cast up to his waist. He broke his leg on a hard landing. These guys jumped off a cliff and most of them fell some distance before their speed gave them lift.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with barbed wire. My bad experience involved a horse that became tangled in the stuff, panicked, and got badly cut. The Vet had to do a great deal of sewing. So, I'm no fan of the stuff.

RedPat said...

You are very brave about heights, Lois! I would be on the floor of the gondola I think!

Revrunner said...

Talk about "on the edge"! :-)

Tom said...

What a fabulous part of the world!

Kate said...

You are obviously enjoying this part of the world and your photos are extraordinary. Spectacular!

orvokki said...

I really love all of your Switzerland photos. I believe the vacation was wonderful.
My daughter lives in Switzerland, and I will visit there at least once a year. It's a beautiful country.