Saturday, October 22, 2016

Klein Matterhorn

With the weather being so perfect during our stay in Zermatt, Switzerland, we decided to make the trip by cable car up to the Klein Matterhorn (sometimes called "the little matterhorn"). We began at the Valley Station in Zermatt, which was right next door to our hotel. I took this picture while we were waiting our turn to board one of the gondolas for the first part of our trip.

View from the gondola as we were leaving Zermatt on our way up. You can see the top of the Matterhorn peeking over the mountains in the upper left side of the picture.

Next we stopped at the Furi Station, where we switched to a larger cable car for the second part of our trip up.

Looking through the front window of our cable car while heading up to the next station. That other car is on its way down.

The next station we stopped at was Trockener Steg at an altitude of 9,643 feet. I took this picture of the Matterhorn from the viewing platform at that station. We stayed there a little while we adjusted to the altitude.

Looking back at where we came from, I zoomed in on the village of Zermatt down there in the valley.

Looking up through the cable car window as we were headed up to the Klein Matterhorn.

One of the many glaciers we passed over on our way up.

We finally arrived at the Glacier Paradise station at 12,740 feet and again took a little time to adjust to the altitude before climbing to the viewing platform where I took this picture.

Here is another picture I took from the viewing platform. That is the Matterhorn behind and directly to the right of the cross. In the lower left of the picture is a construction crane. We saw many of these cranes on the way up and sometimes it was hard to avoid getting them in my pictures.

Located near the Italian and French border, Matterhorn Glacier Paradise is the highest place in Europe that can be reached by aerial tramway, as well as by any other means of transport, offering views of the highest mountains in Italy, France and Switzerland. The weather was so perfect that I was able to zoom in on Mont Blanc (in the center of this picture) in Chamonix, France. Mont Blanc is the highest mountain in the Alps at 15,777 feet and Chamonix was the site of the first Winter Olympics in 1924. We had been lucky enough to make a side trip to Chamonix and see Mont Blanc up close earlier in our trip.

13 comments:

biebkriebels said...

That is much easier to get up the mountain in a cable car than by foot. Stunning views from above over the mountains.

Lowell said...

You are a hell of a lot braver than I am. I would never be able to ride that cable car...I can't stand heights over....well...about 2 feet! But what a glorious group of photos! These are all wonderful and I thank you for sharing them. Some look familiar and it seems to me this area and that tram was used in a couple of James Bond movies.

Sandra said...

Every singles shot gets its own WOW! all that stunning beauty and you brave people taking photos while floating up that mountain. my heart is beating fast just thinking of it. I don't do heights but this is just plain gorgeous... I also would not live in that valley.. think flash floods and snow avalanche... can you tell I am a big chicken little

Sharon Anck said...

What a ride! Fantastic photos!

William Kendall said...

Gorgeous views- the last one especially. Mont Blanc is another one I'd love to have a go at.

Marleen said...

These photos are stunning! You were so lucky to have this weather.

RedPat said...

What fabulous pics, Lois! I've done cable cars when I was young but I don't think I could do them now! Looks like it was worth it though!

Revrunner said...

Fantastic images, Lois. I'm so glad you're back. :-)

bill burke said...

Gorgeous views Lois. You certainly picked the right time to go up in the gondola.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Welcome back Lois. Amazing shots here and last post, magnificent views from your trip up in the cable car, which by the way BRAVO! You are so much braver than I and I appreciate so much that I can see these sights through your eyes, merci beaucoup!

Tom said...

BEAUTIFUL!

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Fantásticas estas belas montanhas com o seu típico casario.
Um abraço e boa semana.
Andarilhar

Jarek said...

Your photography is absolutely stunning!