Sunday, September 4, 2016

Hurricane Aftermath

See those orange streamers hanging in front of my car? They are tied to downed power lines. Obviously I had to back up and turn my car around.

Downed tree blocking the road.

I took this picture through my windshield. More downed power lines.

Another tree down on more power lines.

This tree fell on power lines and snapped the power pole next to it in two.

The decapitated power pole. The top part is hanging from power lines.

Tree on a house.

There is a house under this tree in the left side of the picture.

This house belongs to one of my neighbors a few doors down on my street.

Utility crews working on more downed power lines.

Hurricane Hermine blew through Tallahassee late Thursday night and early Friday morning and I'm happy to say I'm fine and so is my house. I was without power for about 36 hours, but I feel lucky because there are still residents without power today. I took these pictures when I went out on Friday and yesterday. Driving was a little scary because of all the downed power lines and most of the traffic lights were not working. The law says to treat intersections without a working traffic light as if it is a 4-way stop. Most drivers are very considerate, but it gets a little tricky at intersections on a six lane road. I've been trying to stay home until things get a little better.

I will be putting my blog on a little break for awhile. See you soon!

20 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I am glad you and your house are ok after the storm. Your neighbors were not so lucky. I hope things return to normal soon. Happy Sunday, enjoy your new week ahead!

bill burke said...

Glad you safely made it through with only loss of power. Those trees and poles snap like pencils in that kind of storm. Enjoy the break Lois!

Adam said...

We were lucky in upstate SC about getting very little effect from the hurricane. I always hate not having power for days. We had some bad winters up here and when tree limbs would crack due to the cold they'd knock out the power for a week at a time. Luckily the power company hired some tree cutter people to go all around the place and get rid of the dangerous trees. It's really helped after all these years. Never been without power for more than few hours since then.

Revrunner said...

Wise to lay low for a while. Takes a while to recover from storms like this. Glad to hear you came through relatively unscathed.

Linda said...

Wow! I wish they would put more power lines underground. We were fortunate because western Virginia did not get hit by the storm.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Excelente trabalho fotográfico.
Um abraço e boa semana.
Andarilhar

Karl Demetz said...

I'm glad to read that you and your house are fine, Lois !
Enjoy your break !

Sandra said...

we are calling her Her Meanie.. glad you are safe and prayers for all those people effected by this storm.

RedPat said...

Stay home and stay safe, Lois! I was thinking of you - glad you are okay!

biebkriebels said...

Must have been frightening a huricane when I see all th damages.

Sharon Anck said...

Wow, lots of damage to be taken care of. I'm glad you survived without much trouble. Even though, 36 hours without power is quite a long time.

William Kendall said...

Yikes... that was some serious damage.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Been thinking about you and hoping all you and yours came through OK. As you can imagine we watch the storm reports carefully even while we're all the way across country from our Canal Cottage. Thank you for posting that you are OK and sending best wishes for all to get back to normal soon. And for H to be the end of the Hurricane season. Be safe!

BeachGypsy said...

Mercy!! much damage! So glad to hear you are okay and no damage to your house, right? those big tall poles and lines and trees and all look so scary ripped up and cut off like that. It wasn't too bad here....power went out for only short periods of time and we didn't get near the rain expected, but we did get wind. Alot of branches and limbs and litter on the streets and in the yards to pick up the next day. Good bye, Hermine...

Tanya Breese said...

my goodness what a mess...happy you are ok! no wonder you lost power!

Geoff Wilkinson said...

So pleased you ok, take care...

jennyfreckles said...

Yikes, must have been quite a storm. Glad you are OK.

Bethany Carson said...

Oh no, that looks like quite a lot of damage. Glad you are safe. Hope clean-up goes well.

BeachGypsy said...

Hi Lois......just checking on y'all to see how everybody is after the big storm. Hope y'all are ok

Lowell said...

So glad you came through none the worse for wear. But I didn't realize Tallahassee got so much damage. We had some minor stuff here, but nothing serious.