Saturday, August 20, 2016

White ibises hanging around in my neighborhood





This summer I started noticing a small flock of white ibises that seemed to have adopted my neighborhood as their home. I've lived here for many years and I've never really seen them in my yard because they are generally found wading in water while they look for food and there is no lake or pond in my neighborhood. It's been fun seeing them walk around in people's yards looking for something to eat. Sometimes there is a group of about 10 or 12 together and sometimes just two. I saw two standing on my neighbor's chain link fence one day and used my zoom lens to get the first two shots. They almost looked like they were having a conversation. Later on in the day, I took the last two pictures of a couple walking around in my back yard looking for a meal. I couldn't tell what the one in the last shot had in its mouth, but it was swallowed pretty quickly after I took the picture.

All three of my grandkids started school last Monday, so I'm back to blogging. Now to get out and get some new photos!

Linking to Saturday's Critters, Camera Critters, and The Bird D'Pot.

25 comments:

Karen S. said...

They seem to be having lots of fun!

Kate said...

I would love to have these neighbours hanging around my house!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Lois, the ibis seem to be able to walk the fence very well. I always enjoy seeing the White Ibis, great shots.

Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

Lowell said...

Greetings, my friend! It's so nice to have you back blogging! I'm sure you had a super time with the kiddos.

Some years back we had a bunch of these birds in our yard, also. They took to the trees. In fact, I posted a photo showing our big oak trees full of them! I'd never seen that before. Then, all of a sudden they took off and we never saw them again.

Karl Demetz said...

Nice guests :)

Sandra said...

they are a common sight here, and just about every day there is a flock of about 20 wandering our yards. but have never seen them fence walking. I love those pics of the two on the fence.. super shots! have you been close enough to hear them peep chatter while digging for food. they are quite funny to hear.

Breathtaking said...

Hello!:) These are great shots of the White Ibis! How cool to have them visit your yard.

jennyfreckles said...

We rarely see these here and usually in nature reserves. I'd never dream they would stand on fences in people's gardens.

Marleen said...

How wonderful! They are such elegant birds.

William Kendall said...

They look like real characters.

bill burke said...

They look very intense and determined searching for food from the fence. I never heard of these birds before but they sure are big and beautiful.
Hope you had a great time with your grandkids this summer.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Nice fence shots!

I was trying to see what that bird was eating, too. Too muddy though...
~

Linda said...

I haven't seen ibis here. Would welcome them though!

BeachGypsy said...

love watching interesting birds like these! Great pictures!

biebkriebels said...

Beautiful birds so close by.Glad to see you back again!

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Excelente trabalho e boas fotografias.
Um abra├žo e bom Domingo.
Andarilhar

Anni said...

It's great how you captured them hanging on the fence line like that.
Exceptional images.

Thanks so much for stopping by and linking in this weekend at I'd Rather B Birdin'...it's always greatly appreciated.

Powell River Books said...

Hopefully it was some kind of a pesty critter. - Margy

Claire Moxon-Waltz said...

Those are great photographs - how fascinating to have ibises so close to you. I don't see them up here. That looks like a frog, perhaps, that the ibis caught and ate. Frog legs - yum!

Lowell said...

Hi Lois. Thanks for your comment. Re City Light: I'm wondering if maybe there isn't a new small denomination called City Light or Light Churches. If I cared, I could check it out. :)

RedPat said...

I like them on the fence!

Jayne said...

For some reason I just don't expect to see birds like that balanced on a fence. Great photos! visiting from Camera Critters. Have a great day.

Halcyon said...

Such pretty birds!

Ela said...

Such beautiful birds and great photos !!

Revrunner said...

Wonderful backyard visitors. :-)