Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Out of town: Italy

The Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi.

Carousel on the street in the village of Assisi.

Street scene in the village of Assisi.

View of the city of Florence from the Piazzale Michelangelo. The Arno River is in the foreground.

Cathedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore, better known as the Duomo, in Florence.

The Dome of Cathedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence.

Statue of David by Michelangelo at the Galleria Dell'Accademia in Florence.

Ponte Vecchio Bridge over the Arno River in Florence.

After leaving Rome, we headed to the small village of Assisi where we walked around, had lunch, then toured the Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi. No photos were allowed inside the Basilica. After leaving Assisi, we traveled to Florence, one of the most beautiful cities I had ever seen (until I saw Venice later in the trip). Tomorrow: Pisa and Venice.

13 comments:

BeachGypsy said...

Wow Lois! What a wonderful journey!! Cant wait to see more photos

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Magnificas estas fotografias de Florença.
Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

Andy said...

Oh my. Your photos are breathtaking.

bill burke said...

Your photos are beautiful. I love the street scene in Assisi and its narrow roads.

biebkriebels said...

Oh how great you went to Italy, I have seen all the places you show us. It brings back sweet memories. When we had left Assisi, a few days later there was an earthquake which caused some damages to the basilica and is was closed for a long time. I had been in the cellars and was glad the earthquake didn't happen at that time....

Kate said...

Absolutely exquisite and delightful photos. What a wonderful place!!

Sandra said...

i love all these photos, my favorite is the 3rd the one of Assisi, where the road splits around the building. love it. and the sky over that archtecture makes the light perfect. gorgeous pics

Tanya Breese said...

gorgeous photos lois and what a wonderful trip!

Sharon Anck said...

How lucky you are! I agree about Florence. I loved everything about Italy!

Lynette said...

Lois, I love your photos and my memories of being in both places that they bring to me. Thanks! And please know that I feel exactly the same way about you, honey--based on your comment on my post today at Portland Oregon Daily Photo.

William Kendall said...

Florence is a glorious place!

Lowell said...

What beautiful photos. Did you take these with your iPhone. You have given us a fine look at the grandeur that is Assisi and Florence. The Roman Church certainly played (plays) a huge part in the culture of Italy.

Annie Bear said...

I enjoyed seeing these pictures! They're beautiful and bring good memories of Florence. Can't wait to see more!