Wednesday, November 18, 2015

say "per-low"




The weather was perfect this past Sunday for the Springtime Tallahassee Fall Festival. I know that sounds a little contradictory, but Springtime Tallahassee, Inc. is a local civic organization dedicated to the promotion and preservation of Tallahassee’s history. Since 1967, they have sponsored the Annual Springtime Tallahassee Festival (in the spring) which includes a parade, music, food, and arts and crafts booths. Recently they have started sponsoring a smaller one day festival in the fall at Cascades Park with children's activities, arts and crafts booths, music, and food featuring the famous Southern chicken and rice recipe called chicken pilau (pronounced "per-low"). My grandmother used to make a variation of this recipe using shrimp, which I like much better, but the chicken version is pretty good too! The musical group shown in the third picture is called The New 76ers, a local acoustic folk band and they were wonderful. You can listen to some of their music here.

Linking to signs, signs.

19 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Thanks Lois, I enjoyed listening to the New 76ers, wonder how they decided on their name?

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Magnificas fotografias devia de ter sido um belo festival.
Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

biebkriebels said...

Good to see you back again!

Tanya Breese said...

what fun!

Lowell said...

That's a great organization and really is dedicated to the betterment of Tallahassee!

William Kendall said...

It sounds like a good idea. Someone put a lot of work into that sign!

Sylvia K said...

All cities would be better off with an organization like this one!! Great pics for the day, Loia, as always!! Hope your week is going well!!

Linda said...

Looks like fun!

Marleen said...

I like that wooden sign too!

Revrunner said...

Per-low. . . per-low. . . I'm having a little difficulty with that one. :-)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I know Florida is different from everywhere else, but for a minute there I really wondered if the seasons were totally opposite ;)))! Looks like fun, and I'm gonna look up a recipe for that dish ( I think shrimp sounds better too though)!

Tom said...

Locally we have a Kicken' Chicken BBQ...yum!

Jim said...

Great place.

Halcyon said...

Glad to see you back, Lois! Love the Kickin' Chickin sign.

Lea said...

I love the chicken sign!
Have a great day!
Lea

Catie Mead Williams Handcock Robinson said...

excellent....

VP said...

The sign is very nice!

RedPat said...

Sounds good to me!

genie said...

That first sign was a cute one. I am 77 and have not been to Tallahassee since it was Florida State College for Women. My sister went there to college.That really dates me :-)