Monday, October 5, 2015

Monday Mural


Technically I don't think this is a mural, but it will have to be close enough. Every time I drive down to visit my daughter and grandkids in Orlando, as soon as I start hitting the more populated areas of central Florida, I pass these sound barrier walls on Florida's Turnpike. I have always wanted to get a good picture of them, but alas, stopping on the turnpike is not a good idea for reasons I don't think need any explanation. I did stop at a rest stop on my last trip and when I looked up, there it was in all its glory. This is the best I could do, since running across six lanes of turnpike traffic to get a better shot was definitely not an option. Sorry about the utility pole. If you have ever driven on Florida's Turnpike, you know there are endless tolls to be paid. You can save time, aggravation and money by buying a SunPass and preloading it with cash online, which is definitely worth it. Some of your toll money is used to pay for these walls, decorations and all. I have read articles that claim these sound barriers don't really work, but state and federal laws require them if traffic noise hits 66 decibels.

Linking to Monday Mural.

16 comments:

biebkriebels said...

This is a very nice one.

Revrunner said...

Oh, yeah! I like that one. :-)

Birdman said...

I think I know what highway you're talking about near Orlando. A toll every 10 miles or so? A KILLER!

Sylvia K said...

Yep, I really like this one, too!! Always love birds -- pictures or for real!! Hope you have a great new week, Lois!! Enjoy

EG CameraGirl said...

I like this one a LOT!

VP said...

Fantastic, and well located!

RedPat said...

This is wonderful!

William Kendall said...

I do like that!

s.c said...

Wow a very nice executed wall decoration. I like it.

Halcyon said...

I"m sure the walls are better than nothing regarding the sound. I do like those birds. Definitely mural-like enough for me!

Marleen said...

It expresses the birds in flight so well. Very nice.

Lowell said...

You will find these in other areas of Florida, also. And I'm not at all surprised that they don't work. But they might help mute the noise a tad.

Tom said...

Birds of a feather flock together!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I remember when they first started decorating bridges and overpasses and walls in this way ( here in Oregon) and it was such an improvement. I always appreciate the de orations.

Jack said...

Don't care if it is a mural or not. Nice.

Gerald (SK14) said...

That is a lovely design