Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Unusual color in Lake Ella



After taking the picture in yesterday's post, I walked across the street to get a closer look at the color of the water in Lake Ella. The usually dark water in the lake had turned a pretty shade of blue green. I found out that this was due to a crack in a pipe which allowed a tank of aluminum sulfate to spill into the lake. Aluminum sulfate is usually added to the lake in small amounts to kill bacteria and prevent algae blooms. The pipe has been fixed and the color of the lake will eventually return to normal, especially if we get a heavy rainfall. The aluminum sulfate is harmless to people and wildlife. I zoomed in on the turtle barge and they don't seem too worried at all!

Linking to Our World Tuesday.

14 comments:

Halcyon said...

The color is pretty anyway. Glad you just happened to be there to catch it.

biebkriebels said...

A strange colour indeed, good it is harmless.

VP said...

I didn't know of this use for aluminum sulfate. Color of the water apart, I guess it must be really harmless...

Revrunner said...

Surely there's a simpler and more organic solution.

Mo said...

How wonderful to see turtles like this

Cezar and Léia said...

I'm so enchanted by those turtles! Adorable critters! And the color of the water is awesome, I like it a lot!
Léia

Sylvia K said...

Interesting info regarding the water/color!! I am glad it does the job without harming the turtles!! Great captures for the day, Lois, as always! Hope you have a lovely week!! Enjoy!!

RedPat said...

I'm always thrilled to see turtles sitting out like that!

eileeninmd said...

What a pretty view of the Lake. The water color is a lovely aqua. Cool sighting of the turtles. Have a happy week!

EG CameraGirl said...

A pretty shade of green/blue.

Lowell said...

What a lovely, placid scene...just the place to get away from the hectic atmosphere of the city!

LOLfromPasa said...

Both photographs are wonderful. I was a little worried when you mentioned about the aluminum sulfate. Glad wildlife like those little turtles are not at risk.

William Kendall said...

The turtles seem to take it in stride.

Annie Bear said...

Beautiful! I just love the colors! Just when I thought I knew how many shades of green there were, I see this top photo. :)