Tuesday, September 1, 2015

September Theme Day: Curiosities



I have always been fascinated by this bat house, which is located near a pond behind a local mall. I guess you could call it a curiosity. It has been there for years and I have even featured it on my blog before. I'm not sure whether or not it is, or has ever been, occupied by bats, but the concept is good because bats eat mosquitoes and we do have a lot of mosquitoes here in north Florida. I even stood underneath it, but as you can tell from the picture, no little critters could been seen hanging from the rafters. If they are in there, they are hiding very well. I know we do have bats in Tallahassee because I used to see one every once in awhile hanging from the ceiling in the old building I worked in on the Florida State University campus before I retired. They also were once found hanging out in the auditorium of my kids' high school. My earliest experience with them though was when I was living in a sorority house in college and a couple of them came flying out of the attic one night. As you can probably imagine, a whole lot of screaming went on during that episode. Perhaps bats like to choose their own place to live, instead of having humans build a house specifically for them!

The first day of the month is always Theme Day in the City Daily Photo Community and this month our theme is "Curiosities". To see other members' interpretations of the theme, visit the CDP Theme Day page here.

27 comments:

Halcyon said...

Someone built it, but they did not come. :(

Cezar and Léia said...

Yes I think it's great for the theme, a beautiful house! Now, I'm also curious about the view from that! ;)
Hey, about your message, you certainly need to visit Italy someday, I'm sure you will enjoy a lot the trip. And...please come to visit us in Luxembourg as well!
hugs
Léia

Gerald (SK14) said...

Bats are a protected species in the UK much to the chagrin of some builders.

biebkriebels said...

How interesting they built a house specially for bats. But you are right, they choose their own place to hangout.

eileeninmd said...

It looks like a nice house for the bats. I hope it is being used. It is good to have the bats around to eat the mosquitoes. Have a happy day!

Revrunner said...

I can easily imagine the scream-in that must have ensued. :-)

Kate said...

Definitely a curiosity! I once rented a house in Mexoco that bats from a nearby bat cave used at night. Didn't stay long!

EG CameraGirl said...

Most bats are nocturnal, aren't they? You wouldn't see them out in daylight hours. I do hope there are bats there to eat the mosquitoes!

Julie said...

Both the bat-house, and bats themselves, are curiosities to my mind. There is a whole swarm of them which migrate from one side of Sydney to the other at dusk each day They roost in the Royal Botanic Gardens, and generally create havoc.!

Karl Demetz said...

Curious indeed, Lois :)

Birdman said...

Bathouse? On first glance, I thought you had built a treehouse. hahahaha
btw My son and his babe are waking up at the Tallahassee Hyatt this AM on their way to Austin. Say hi if you see him. Hahahahaha

Small City Scenes said...

Ho Lois--haven't been by for a while---and that in itself is a curious thing! LOL
Neat Bat house and I too wonder if Bats occupy it.
MB

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh that is curious Lois, wasn't sure at all what this construction was at first :) First time I've seen a bat house!

Sharon Anck said...

I was curious the minute I saw the photo! Very interesting.

Birdman said...

btw #2- We are headed to Austin in a week... my son is relocating there too. Small world?

VP said...

The simple idea of a bat house is already curious for me, but this real one is really great!

Sylvia K said...

That is so interesting, Lois! It is a BIG house! That's one bird you rarely, if ever, see here in the northwest -- which is fine with me!! Hope you have a great day!! Enjoy!

William Kendall said...

They're great critters, taking care of all those nasty little blighters that bite us. My aunt's absolutely terrified of bats though!

Lowell said...

What a great place. I thought it was a tree house at first but then realized there wasn't any way to get up to it. I remember in central Texas one time in the early evening, thousands of bats came flying low overhead. That was a little scary. I also remember some old bats that taught in my elementary school! :)

RedPat said...

I would never have guessed what that was, Lois! Perfect for the theme!

cieldequimper said...

Oh I love bats, never been afraid of them!

Peter van den Besselaar said...

Great entry. I dream of such houses!

Beth Niquette said...

Lois! That is SO completely cool. I'd love to make a bat house like this on my property! :D

Linda said...

Looks really big for a bat house!

Tom said...

This is a bat house of steroids.

LOLfromPasa said...

What an intriguing abode for your local bats. I like it! Looks well maintained.

Jack said...

I like this one, Lois. I didn't think bats need such a big structure.