Saturday, September 5, 2015

A few more pics of Florida State Hospital




I showed a couple of pictures of my drive through the campus of Florida State Hospital in Chattahoochee in my post earlier this week here along with a brief history. I wanted to show a few more today. The campus is quite large (620 acres) and they even have their own fire station. When I was in college at FSU many years ago, I took an abnormal psychology class and we visited the hospital on a field trip. I remember being appalled by the conditions at that time and more than a little uncomfortable and even frightened by some of the patients. I have to say it looks like many improvements have been made since then. Of course, I didn't go inside any of the buildings this time! By the way, I cannot remember why the flags were flying at half staff on the day I was there.

12 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

I enjoyed your photos Lois. Pretty blue skies that day. My husband told me once of visiting such a place when he was a student. He had a similar reaction to yours.

biebkriebels said...

Their own firestation that is special good for a safe feeling with difficult patients.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I imagine such places everywhere were a bit intimidating back, it really is a beautiful building Lois.

Revrunner said...

I had similar feelings about Eastern State Hospital in Williamsburg, Virginia.

Birdman said...

It's a strikingly stark building from this side.

William Kendall said...

The fire station particularly stands out. There are occasions here when the flag is at half staff, and the reason isn't always clear.

Lowell said...

Beautiful photos, my friend! The hospital is bigger than I thought. Did you ever see "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?" Your description of the visit you made years ago reminded me of that. I wonder why the hospital has its own fire station? That seems like a waste of resources unless they serve the surrounding area, too.

Thanks also for your description of your childhood home. Sometimes I wish we could turn back the clock. I'm not at all sure that all change is good or that we've progressed very far. :)

RedPat said...

Hopefully times have changed for the good, Lois!

VP said...

A very interesting post. I really hope things are much better now, the buildings are quite nice and well kept.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Things have certainly changed. Oklahoma shut down most of their mental health beds years ago. The plan was to open up more community based centers. That never happened to save money. Now many of the former patients and people who should be patients are homeless and the county jails are now the defacto mental health facilities. A sad situation.

cieldequimper said...

While the first one looks gorgeous, the second one looks more like a hospital... I do hope they have improved...

Cezar and Léia said...

A very interesting building and I like the motion of the flags in your first composition.
Leia