Saturday, July 18, 2015

A few highlights from my recent trip

This is a picture of me standing in front of the gazebo that was used in several scenes from one of my grandkids' (mine too) favorite movies "The Sound of Music" near Salzburg, Austria. It was in a park right next to the tree lined road leading to one of the houses used in the film.

We also visited Kehlsteinhaus, also known as the Eagle's Nest, which was Hitler's mountain retreat, built by the Nazis as a gift for his 50th birthday. It is located just over the border from Salzburg near Berchtesgaden, Germany. This is the only Nazi structure that was not destroyed by bombs after the liberation of Germany after World War II. I took this picture from the terrace.

I climbed all the way up to Neuschwanstein Castle which is located above the German village of Hohenschwangau in the Bavarian Alps. I took this picture while standing on a footbridge on the way up to the castle.

Zugspitzblick is the mountain on the left in this picture. It is in the Tyrol region of Germany and is the highest peak in the Bavarian Alps. We stopped here while traveling through the Fern Pass. You can see part of a pretty alpine lake near the bottom right in the picture.

Please note: I will be extending my blogging break because I will have all of my grandchildren with me for a few weeks during the rest of the summer. We are planning many exciting adventures, so I don't feel that I can devote the time I usually do to my blog. I hope to be back soon!

21 comments:

Revrunner said...

Fairy tale land. :-)

TexWisGirl said...

beautiful country! enjoy those grands!!

Sandra said...

enjoy your kiddos. these photos are awe inspiring... i love the one of the eagles nest. i think they made that clint Eastwood movie on that but not sure.

EG CameraGirl said...

WoW! The views are spectacular!

Marleen said...

Those views are gorgeous, Lois!

Sharon Anck said...

Gorgeous photos especially the one of Neuschwanstein. I wish I could have gotten one that good when I was there many years ago. Looks like you had a fabulous trip.

Sylvia K said...

Oh, these are all gorgeous, Lois!! And, yes, I'm ready to go back to Austria and Europe in general!! Your captures are the next best thing! What a fantastic trip!! Enjoy your grandchildren for the next few weeks and it will be great to see you back online!!!

William Kendall said...

I would absolutely love to climb in that part of the world! Beautiful shots, Lois.

jennyfreckles said...

Ah, I remember the gazebo well. I visited Neuschwanstein once. it's amazing.

biebkriebels said...

Thanks for sharing these photo's, I want to see more of them.... But I understand you have to make some time for your grandchildren. That Schloss Neuschwanstein I have visited too, a weird interior wasn't it. The owner was total mad.

VP said...

I have to try this sooner or later...

Birdman said...

If I close my eyes, I think I hear Julie Andrews in those distant hills.

eileeninmd said...

Wow, gorgeous images from your trip! I love the castle and the view of the mountains. Enjoy your break with the grandkids! Have a happy summer!

Lowell said...

Zounds! I'm still on break but wanted to respond to your comment and I'm so happy for you...what a fantastic trip you must have had. And your photos are superb! Postcards! You could frame and hang all of these. The one of the castle is most outstanding. Kudos on being able to climb up a mountain!

Annie Bear said...

What a great vacation and your pictures are beautiful! We were at some of these places just a few years ago. We were in Salzburg and Neuschwanstein Castle (we did that as a day trip from Munich).

Enjoy your time with your grandchildren! These pictures really are wonderful!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a cool trip you had Lois! Very neat. Enjoy your grands; hope to see more pictures of them (right-side up or upside down ;>) and of your trip when you come back to blogland!

Lea said...

Beautiful! Wonderful!

Halcyon said...

Enjoy your time with the grandkids. Love these looks from your recent trip!

Joan Elizabeth said...

What lovely scenery.

Cezar and Léia said...

I'm so glad that you enjoy this time in Europe! Your pictures are wonderful a d please, next time come to visit us in Luxembourg as well!
Big hugs
Leia

orvokki said...

Wonderful photos.