Friday, June 12, 2015

SkyWatch Friday and more Fort McHenry

Today I am continuing to show pictures of my visit to Fort McHenry in Baltimore last week.

Flag flying over Fort McHenry. It is an exact replica of the flag that inspired Francis Scott Key to write the words to what would become the National Anthem of the United States. It has 15 stars, 13 representing the original 13 colonies and one each for Kentucky and Vermont, the only other states that had been admitted to the Union at the time of the Battle of Baltimore during the War of 1812. Linking this shot to SkyWatch Friday.

Fireplace and stairs inside one of the rooms in the soldiers' barracks.

Beds inside the soldiers' barracks. You can't really tell from the picture, but these beds were really short.

Firewood outside the door on the porch of the soldiers' barracks.

That barn shaped building between the officers' quarters on the left and the commanding officer's quarters on the right is a magazine (used to store ammunition) which was constructed after the war.

Note: I will be taking another break for the next week because my two oldest grandchildren will be visiting from Orlando. I am so excited that my house will be full of kids again and I'm pretty sure I won't have time for blogging!



23 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Really enjoyed your post, Lois!! Thanks for sharing the history and the photos!! Have a wonderful time with your grandchildren and make the most of every hour!! I'm really excited for you!!

VP said...

The old flag is beautiful and the barn structure is really curious. The beds are definitely short...

Weekend-Windup said...

We need to salute our soldiers for their work.They live so hard and strive for our country...

Tamera said...

What a great place to visit! I love history!

Have fun with your grandkids, Lois! :^)

biebkriebels said...

People were a lot smaller then now indeed, nice photo's.

Revrunner said...

Those beds also look very hard.

Sandra said...

i love the way they built the stairs into the corner, saved from stealing space from the room..the flag is stunning... Fort Pulaski in Savaanah GA is a lot like this..

eileeninmd said...

hello Lois, I love the flag shot. Beautiful sky and images of Fort McHenry! Have fun with your grandkids. Happy Friday, have a great weekend!

Lea said...

Very interesting, and beautiful skies!

Cranberry Morning said...

I enjoyed these photos!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I enjoyed your trip to Fort McHenry Lois.. How wonderful to have a houseful of children for a while, lucky you.. enjoy.

TexWisGirl said...

those beds look hard. :) love the magazine building! enjoy your grands!

RedPat said...

Great flag shot! We must be a lot taller now than people were in the old days!

William Kendall said...

The average height at the time was a good deal shorter, so if you were six feet tall, you'd be overwhelming everyone around you, and quite uncomfortable on most beds.

Latane Barton said...

I loved learning more about our grand ole flag and where it was written. Such sacrifices, such glory. I pray we keep the glory and grandness in our country.

Sharon Anck said...

Great photos of this historic place. Have fun with the grandkids!

cieldequimper said...

Love seeing inside. Makes it so "real" somehow!

Lowell said...

Again, the more I see of this for the more it reminds me of Ft. Clinch. I guess there must have been some kind of grand design for olden forts. They weren't very comfy, though!

Halcyon said...

Thanks for the guided tour Lois. I'm sure your grandkids are looking as forward to being with you as you are with them! Hope you have a great time.

Birdman said...

Great shots. Studied McHenry in my US History books in HS.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Have fun with the grands (as if anybody needs to remind you). I have really enjoyed this tour.

EG CameraGirl said...

I've never been to Fort McHenry so I'm enjoying these photos. I'm clad I don't have to sleep in those bunk beds. ;)

Bethany Carson said...

The flag is so beautiful with the blue sky and clouds in the background; it's no wonder it inspired our national anthem. The fort looks like a neat place to tour!