Thursday, June 11, 2015

Fort McHenry and Good Fences

I am continuing to show pictures from my trip last week to Baltimore and here are a few from our visit to Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine. Fort McHenry is best known for its role in the War of 1812, when United States soldiers at the fort successfully defended the harbor from an attack by the British Navy in Chesapeake Bay during the Battle of Baltimore on September 13-14, 1814. The valiant defense of the fort inspired Francis Scott Key to write a poem called "The Star Spangled Banner" which was later set to music and became the National Anthem of the United States.

As we were walking up to the fort, I saw this fence and immediately knew I had to take a picture of it for Theresa and her Good Fences meme. It is located between the fort and the harbor.

After I took the first picture, I turned to my left and got this shot of the Francis Scott Key bridge in the distance. It was a beautiful day!

The main entrance to Fort McHenry. The flag is a replica of the original flag that was raised over the fort after the battle was over. Francis Scott Key saw this flag and that is how he knew that the United States had prevailed. The flag has only 15 stars, which was the number of states in the union at that time.

I took this picture of these massive cannons while I was standing on one of the ramparts, but I didn't know it until one of the National Park Service employees pointed it out. The ramparts are mentioned in the National Anthem ("O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming"). It is a bit of a stretch, but I guess a rampart could be considered a very sturdy fence!

One of the buildings inside the fort. This one contained barracks for soldiers and I will show pictures of the inside in another post.

Looking back at the fort while standing on another rampart with my back to the harbor.


Linking to Good Fences.

26 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Oh, such beautiful captures and terrific fences!! These are wonderful, Lois!! Thanks as always for sharing! I hope your week is going well!! Enjoy!!

PAK said...

The fine fence and the interesting fort.

VP said...

Some beautiful pictures from a really historical place. The fence is almost perfect for the meme, and I like the view of the faraway bridge.

Halcyon said...

Love that fence, especially against the green grass. Looks like you had a nice day at the Fort.

Revrunner said...

A VERY sturdy fence. :-)

Margaret Adamson said...

NO it is not a bit of a stretch. I looked it up and this is what it says- a defensive wall of a castle or walled city, having a broad top with a walkway and typically a stone parapet. So you see a wall is a fence! Looks a very interesting place to visit.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Lois, wonderful images from Fort McHenry. You were close by to me while visiting your family in Maryland. Great fence scenes! Enjoy your day!

Sandra said...

I do love to visit old forts.. this one is a beauty...

cieldequimper said...

I would have enjoyed this a lot! Water, history, ciel bleu... Perfect!

TexWisGirl said...

a neat, historical area with some great views! love the bridge and the cannons, too. i like those 'insert' fences a lot. they don't hold up well in texas as our ground moves around too much, though. :)

Sharon Anck said...

Beautiful shots. I love that view across the water.

Tanya Breese said...

we just saw a show on tv about this fort recently...a friend of mine stayed here overnight with her boyscout troop...she has some ghost stories too from it! how funny, yesterday we both post a lighthouse and today a fort!

Cranberry Morning said...

That first photo is just beautiful! And of course I always like photos of bridges too...and water!

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots. I would love to visit the fort- so much history there!

Ida said...

Wonderful post. It is so neat to learn and see sights from our countries history like this. I liked that first fence shot very much and enjoyed reading about this Fort.

carolann said...

Magnificent takes. Very interesting.

Marleen said...

That really was a beautiful day. Impressive views!

RedPat said...

I like to visit that kind of place. Beautiful shots!

Karen S. said...

What a fabulous place to visit! Great photos.

Gayle said...

Very nice photos and background information.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Fascinating history. I really hope we get to Baltimore some time ... we have missed pretty much all of the big cities 'up north'.... sigh, so many places, so little time!!!

Felicia said...

great post. what a wonderful place this would be to visit.

beautiful images.

Lowell said...

Fort McHenry reminds me a lot of Fort Clinch on Amelia Island. So beautiful and well maintained!

Jack said...

The photos of fences and cannons and ramparts are excellent, Lois. Looks like a good visit to Baltimore.

EG CameraGirl said...

I like that fence, very different from any I have seen before.

Bethany Carson said...

Love the fence and bridge, and *great* photos of the fort here!