Friday, February 6, 2015

SkyWatch Friday




Declaration, a 20 foot tall dichroic glass sculpture by Kenneth von Roenn, director of the Master Craftsman Studio at Florida State University, is the newest piece of public art in Tallahassee. It is located in the center of a roundabout on Gaines Street near the FSU football stadium, which you can see in the background of the first shot. This type of glass changes colors when viewed or illuminated from different directions. It may cast one color in one direction and reflects the complement of this color in the opposite direction. It is hard to get good photos of it because you have to dodge traffic, so I went late on a Sunday afternoon just as the sun was going down. I like how the colored light hits the sidewalk and street below. It is usually lit up at night, but I'm not sure I want to try going back in the dark, so go here if you want to see what it looks like at night.

By the way, it is no coincidence that this sculpture resembles a spearhead embedded in the ground. Lowell will know why. (Hint: as I mentioned above, it is located near the FSU football stadium).

Linking to SkyWatch Friday.

30 comments:

Karl Demetz said...

How interesting artwork, looks like a giant umbrella :)
Like the colors and the colored shadows.

Mariusz from Nowy Sacz said...

Lois, slightly annoyed me now photos that I see that it's warm and sunny:/ I wait until winter is gone.
Beautiful photos. In general, in Tallahassee is beautiful.
Yours :)

biebkriebels said...

This ia very special, looks like an upside down umbrella to me. The colours are amazing and thanks for risking your life for making this photos :)

Revrunner said...

Oo! I really like the colors on those paving stones.

Sandra said...

I love it

Audrey said...

Superbe j aime bcp cette oeuvre sublimee par le soleil ;o)

bon w end !

Lowell said...

That is absolutely beautiful! Got to get up your way one of these days. When things settle down.

I'd say the Seminoles are on the warpath again!

TexWisGirl said...

very unique!

Halcyon said...

What a striking piece of public art! It looks nice in that traffic circle.

VP said...

Strange and unusual...

Aimeecakes said...

This is really cool, I love all the coloured reflections

Sharon Anck said...

That is a very unique piece. I've never seen anything like it before. Very nice.

Annie Bear said...

Well, the sky is beautiful as always but the glass sculpture sure is interesting! I love the colors. This is so unique!

Sylvia K said...

Beautiful,colorful, unique and such marvelous captures for the day, Lois!! Hope you're ready for a great weekend!!

William Kendall said...

I like the look of it!

There's a sculpture over on the Quebec side of the river here that's made of coloured glass. I have to photograph it in the spring.

RedPat said...

I thought of an umbrella when I saw it too!

Nora said...

Such wonderful photos. I love the colors and the light!

cieldequimper said...

I like it. It's elegant.

Rob the frog said...

I love it when they're playing with light!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Very interesting looking sculpture! I like the night shot of it, too.

Mo said...

A giant top

EG CameraGirl said...

Dodging traffic doesn't sound like fun, but I do like the sculpture and the reflections it casts on the ground below it.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

How very lovely! Thanks for dodging traffic to bring it to us. Yep even snowbird me knew the symbolism since you mentioned where it was.

Marie said...

Love the way the light reflects the colors on the sidewalk! The sculpture reminds me of an upside down umbrella!

Birdman said...

Best part of this for me? The colors on the cobblestones.

Birdman said...

Oh, almost forgot spear of Osceola! I know my FSU lore.

Lowell said...

Hi Lois,

Hope you're having a good day.

Thought you might this of interest:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/02/03/1361864/-EXCLUSIVE-Koch-Brothers-Rick-Scott-And-Jeb-Bush-Exposed-In-Florida-Pipeline-Scandal?detail=email

Lowell said...

Hi again...about the bear: Gotcha! I'm grinning ...😜

Jack said...

There are two simpler sculptures in Olde Naples with glass like this. It is fascinating to go past them and see the ways the lights and colors change.

Bethany Carson said...

That's one of the neater pieces of modern art! Love the colors!