Friday, January 23, 2015

Second Floor Interior of Spring House designed by Frank Lloyd Wright

After showing exterior photos of Spring House on Wednesday, yesterday I showed photos of the first floor. Today I am showing you what the second floor looks like.


View of the woods through the windows and door of the balcony on the north end of the house.


Turning around after taking the first shot, here is a photo of the upstairs walkway overlooking the first floor. Entrances to the bedrooms and bathrooms are on the right.


The first room off the walkway is a bathroom. As you can see, it needs quite a bit of work. It is also very small and hard to photograph. There is a "bubble" skylight over the tub which is shared with the other bathroom on the other side of the wall next door.


Here is the other smaller bathroom which shares the same "bubble" skylight with first bathroom. It also needs a lot of work.


The first bedroom off the walkway is the master bedroom and has a fireplace like the one downstairs.


Another view of the master bedroom. You can see part of the fireplace to the right in the photo.


Next is a second smaller bedroom.


This third large bedroom at the south end of the house was originally meant to be shared by the children of the family. The house was not air conditioned, so those windows open to allow for plenty of ventilation.


View of the woods through the large bedroom window on the south end of the house. It was not recommended that we go out on the balcony because it needs work. This is the end of the house that I showed in my first exterior photo from my post on Wednesday here.

I hope you have enjoyed my tour of Spring House. If you haven't visited their website, here is the link again. Hopefully I can go back one day when it is fully restored and get some more pictures. Tomorrow I will go back to showing one photo a day again!


18 comments:

bettyl-NZ said...

What an amazing architect he was! This house is just incredible!

biebkriebels said...

Thanks for sharing Lois, and showing us the details of the house. FLW must not have been a keen lover of bathing in that narrow corner. The hous must have been very warm in summer I suppose and cold in winter with the few fireplaces.

Revrunner said...

I guess I am surprised more hasn't already been done to preserve this architecturally important house.

VP said...

Love the windows, a bit less the sadly dilapidated b├ęton brut...

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Such an unusual design .. Lots of wood. So interesting to see Lois, hope they get round to the work that needs doing.

Lowell said...

I've enjoyed this tour very much...there's a lot to like in this house - for one thing, I like all the wood; the concrete not so much. And it's too bad it's not in better shape - especially those bathrooms.

But can you imagine living here without a/c? I don't know how they did it...and it's even worse in south Florida!

Birdman said...

Lovely to visit. But I wouldn't want to put down roots within these walls.

TexWisGirl said...

love all the wood and curves, again. glad they're fixing those things before they just crumble away!

Annie Bear said...

Even with all the work needed, it's a lovely home. I love the view and the upstairs walkway. I hope you're able to return when all the restoration is complete. You did a great job on the pictures. It doesn't seem easy to take pictures of an inside home to be able to see everything properly.

Sharon Anck said...

They have quite a lot of work ahead of them to get this place back into ship shape. When I tour Taliesin here, I'm always amazed at how small some of the rooms are. I remember thinking that the bedroom looked like an after-thought, casually added at the last minute. Thanks for taking us on this tour. I've enjoyed it very much.

Sylvia K said...

Fascinating captures of the house and I, too, am glad they restoring it! It will indeed be great to see it again then!! Have a lovely weekend, Lois!!

William Kendall said...

There's much work to be done, but it looks well worth making the effort.

Lois Evensen said...

Beautiful! Our daughter-in-law was there recently and send many similar pictures. Very nice!

Halcyon said...

The fireplace is fantastic. But I agree, the bathroom needs some work!

Bethany Carson said...

Looks like an interesting place!

Linda said...

Interesting tour. I like that upstairs walkway.

carolann said...

Very nice tour.

Sandra said...

wow on the photo of the fireplace in the sunshine. so beautiful