Thursday, January 22, 2015

First floor interior of Spring House designed by Frank Lloyd Wright

Yesterday I showed pictures of the exterior of Spring House. I took a lot more pictures of the interior than I remembered, so I am splitting them up and will be showing the downstairs today and the upstairs tomorrow.

Fireplace in the main room downstairs. You can see the entrance to the kitchen behind the back wall of the fireplace to the right.

This bench and a series of identical half moon windows and overhead lights run the length of the wall from the south end of the main room downstairs all the way to the fireplace. You can sit on the bench and gaze out into the woods through the two story windows on the east side of the house.

Split level stairs at the front door as you enter the house.

The kitchen entrance is just to the right of and behind the fireplace. This room is small and hard to photograph. The kitchen is in need of restoration, but it is in much better shape than the bathrooms upstairs which I will show you tomorrow.

Looking up from the main room downstairs. You can see the how the half moon windows line up over the bench on the wall at the bottom right in the photo. The second floor walkway can be seen above the windows.

Looking down from the second floor walkway at the main floor and where I was standing when I took the previous photo.

Stairs leading down to the basement. Homes in Florida usually do not have basements, so this is a very unusual feature for this area.

For more information and pictures of Spring House, please visit their website here. It's pretty fascinating! If you missed my photos of the exterior of the house, be sure to look at my post from yesterday.

19 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Wow, so nice you went inside and shows us the interior. I love it.

Revrunner said...

Very much in need of some no doubt expensive TLC.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Amazing interior Lois.. It's brilliant that they're keeping it as tribute to the designer and his unique style.

Lowell said...

Thank you, Lois, for this delightful series of photos! It's an amazing and fascinating house. I'd love to visit. Probably isn't my style and I don't think I'd want to live in it, but one must appreciate Wright's design! I especially liked that sweeping solid wood rail on the 2nd floor walkway!

Karl Demetz said...

Interesting! I loved to see this !

Aimeecakes said...

i think that fireplace is my favourite bit - very cool!

Halcyon said...

Love the big windows in the living room! I have been to two FLW houses. I'd love to visit this one too.

Gunn said...

Interesting posting!
Thanks for sharing.

Sharon Anck said...

I usually love all things FLW but, I have to admit, I don't care for that fireplace. I do like all the curves.

EG CameraGirl said...

How interesting to see the interior! THANKS!

Bergson said...

a fireplace that needs to be messy and inefficient

Sylvia K said...

A really interesting house! Wish the walls could talk, I bet they would have some interesting stories to tell!! Wonderful captures, Lois, as always! Hope you have a lovely weekend!!

TexWisGirl said...

interesting fireplace venting. i like the stairways and all the curves.

William Kendall said...

The style is so radically different!

VP said...

Very interesting, but some parts of the interior are a bit too much like a bunker...

RedPat said...

Needs lots of work but will be fabulous when restored!

EG CameraGirl said...

I like the look of the curves. It would convince me not to have much furniture if I lived in this house.

Bethany Carson said...

The split-level stairs are very neat!

Sandra said...

glad you showed us the inside. i like it almost as much as the out side..