Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Leader of the Band



FSU played a home football game last Saturday and one of the things I like to do on game days is attend the Marching Chiefs warmup session just before they march into the stadium. Here you can see the head drum major on the podium conducting the band, while the two assistant drum majors stand on either side of him. He was conducting a beautiful version of the Battle Hymn of the Republic which was part of their halftime show honoring the victims of 9/11. The Marching Chiefs is the largest college marching band in the world with membership comprised from almost every academic department within the University. My daughter and son-in-law were both members of the Marching Chiefs while they were undergraduate students at FSU.

9 comments:

Darla said...

Awesome isn't it?

Jim Klenke said...

Awesome shot! I have a single band member in my post for today.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I should imagine that this would be very impressive and stirring to watch Lois. They look fantastic in their uniforms.

SRQ said...

Very cool. I love college marching bands! (of course, I'm partial to the MSU Spartans...but, FSU looks good.) With the brick buildings in the background, this pic really captures the atmosphere of being on a college campus.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Activities such as band are a very enriching part of the educational experience, and sadly they sometimes get cut when fiscal times are tight..

Leif Hagen said...

Marching bands are sooo fun! Our oldest daughter is playing French Horn so maybe someday she'll march with her instrument....

Mama-Bug said...

I've been to several games there at FSU. The half-time show with the band was always the highlight of the game for me!

Jack said...

I would love to hear them. When I worked in Columbus, I went to Ohio State football games, and the halftime shows by The Best Da**ed Band In The Land were always exciting.

Kaori said...

Wow, there are so many of them! I love the marching bands, too :D