Thursday, May 26, 2011

Tallahassee/St. Marks Historic Railroad Trail



The Tallahassee/St. Marks Historic Railroad Trail runs all the way from Tallahassee to the small village of St. Marks on Florida's Gulf coast. In the early 1900’s, the trail was used to carry cotton by rail from the plantation belt to the coast for shipment to textile mills in England and New England. Today it is a paved trail for bikers, walkers and skaters and there is even an adjacent unpaved trail for horseback riding. I took this picture at the Main Trailhead just south of Tallahassee. This section of the trail is currently being resurfaced and should be finished sometime this summer. I'm following Clytie's suggestion in her comment and linking this post to a wonderful meme called Signs, Signs.

9 comments:

Mama-Bug said...

What a beautiful trail for recreation!

Darla said...

Lois, I have never walked, biked or skated on this trail...have you?

Tricia said...

That sounds like fun & the history of it would certainly be interesting, but I love history!

Thank you for the comment you left about the storms... it was intense for a while! =)

Lois said...

Darla, no I haven't! It looks like it could be fun though.

Clytie said...

I'm not only glad that the old rail line was turned into a recreation trail ... but I'm also glad that it is recognized for it's historical significance! That's a nice combination.

Lois, you really should link this picture and your alligator one from yesterday to Lesley's "Signs, Signs" meme. They would be perfect!
http://signs2.blogspot.com/

Lesley said...

And I am so glad you did.
Old rail lines make wonderful trails.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I just love trails especially the rails to trails type.

Jacob said...

We've been planning to bike this trail for over 20 years. Do you think now is the time?

Lois said...

Jacob, I would wait until they are finished with the resurfacing. Go to the link in my post to their website to find out when they will be done.