Monday, May 23, 2011

My Grandmother




The first picture is of a painting done by Ponte Vedra artist Ellen Jones from the old photograph in the second picture. The lady in the picture is my grandmother (also named Lois) and she posed for this picture back in 1924 on her 18th birthday. No one in our family had even seen this photo of her until it was featured on the cover of a 2000 calendar by the local newspaper. The photograph was found in the archives of the Beaches Museum and History Center in Jacksonville Beach, which is where I grew up. The artist did a series of paintings based on historic photographs of the area and they were featured in an exhibit at the museum earlier this year. When I saw the painting of my grandmother, I just had to buy it and now it is hanging on the wall in my living room. My grandmother passed away in 1996.

15 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

wow, what a neat find! Nice that the painting has a home with her granddaughter.

Darla said...

This is very special Lois!!!

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Spectacular photo, painting, and story.

Ms. Moon said...

That is SO cool, Lois!

Kaori said...

What a story, Lois! To find a painting of your grandmother after so long...beautiful!

Jack said...

This is a remarkable story, Lois. Weren't you lucky to discover the existence of the painting, recognize where it came from, and then buy it? The stars were shining on you.

Mama-Bug said...

What a treasure Lois! I love the painting; it's nice to have something like this done of your grandmother.

biebkriebels said...

What a special post, amazing, the painting and the photo. She must have been a cheerful lady, so happy posing with the car.

Karl said...

fabulous !!

SRQ said...

Awesome find! I bet you and your family were so surprised. Your grandmother looks like she was having fun posing for the camera. Very nice you were able to purchase the painting.

jennyfreckles said...

That's a great story - she looks like she was having fun.

Birdman said...

Your family must have been some surprised seeing this image.

Jacob said...

This is so reminiscent of a photo I posted a while back of my mother, taken probably about the same time. How wonderful that it was discovered and you were able to obtain it. Love the painting, too!

Cezar and Léia said...

She is lovely!Wonderful homage to your grand mother Lois! :)
Hugs
Léia

Lisa Wilson said...

What an amazing story, to find that photo after she had already passed. It must have been an exciting find! I'm glad you were able to buy the painting, too.