Monday, July 12, 2010

Georgia Aquarium




 
Posted by Picasa


After spending time outside in the heat, my grandson and I decided to stay cool by heading into downtown Atlanta for a visit to the Georgia Aquarium. One of the largest aquariums in the world, this place is amazing! I took the first 3 pictures in the Ocean Voyager gallery, which was specially designed to house whale sharks, the largest fish species in the world along with many other interesting creatures of the deep, including the only manta rays in any U.S. aquarium. The habitat contains 6 million gallons of saltwater and this particular viewing window is 23 feet tall and 61 feet wide. It's like being in an underwater theatre! In the second picture, you can see one of the giant whale sharks swimming by. The third shows one of the manta rays. The last picture was taken in the beluga whale exhibit in the Cold Water Quest gallery. You can see my grandson's silhouette up against another viewing window watching one of the beluga whales. He was mesmerized!

24 comments:

Steffe said...

Some big fish there!

Jim Klenke said...

I love that last pic of your grandson looking through the glass.

Leif Hagen said...

Very COOL underwater photos, Lois! And you didn't even need your flippers or air tank!

Hilda said...

I would be too! Wonderful photos, Lois!

Halcyon said...

I love the silhouette photo. Aquariums are always fun to visit!

Corker2 said...

Some nice captures of the Aquarium. I've always enjoyed going to see them around our area. There is a nice one down on the NJ Waterfront, but never seem to get there.

√ Abraham Lincoln said...

Oh my. A fabulous place for anybody. I hope the Gulf gets cleaned up soon. Or this might be the only place to see these creatures.

Fat Lady Recipes

Rambling Round said...

Beautiful photos of the aquarium!

Sunny said...

Wonderful pictures, I especially like the one of your Grandson looking at the Beluga whale.
☼ Sunny

Lucy the Cat said...

I adore aquariums. These are great pictures. I love your grandson looking at the whale. :)

Clueless in Boston said...

The Aquarium sounds great. I remember reading about it when it was being built. The silhouetted picture of your grandson is priceless. That would be me too!

Pam said...

I love aquariums and find them quite mesmerizing, also. Love the the silhouette shot of your grandson, Lois. He sure is getting tall!

Julie said...

That final image of GS is a delight, Lois. I love to watch the world grip the imagination of children of that age. Shows the might of possibilities ...

Jacob said...

More fun times! Your grandson is a very lucky young man!

I didn't know about this aquarium or it's size or anything. Very interesting.

Love your photos...great colors and nice and sharp, but the last one is just priceless...it speaks volumes about the wonder and awe he is experiencing at the moment!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love aquariums and that looks like a great one especially on a hot day.

Bill said...

Great shots Lois. I especially like the last one with your grandson. That could win you a prize in a competition, I'm sure.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

aquariums are absolutely awesome for any age

Small City Scenes said...

You guys are just having so much fun.
What a fascinating place to visit---and then learn something as a bonus. Great!!! MB

VP said...

A set of beautiful pictures, but my favorite is the last one: I can imagine how your grandson was feeling there!

Costea Andrea Mihai said...

beautiful..i like..congrat

Kaori said...

I love aquariums! Beautiful photos, Lois :D

Clytie said...

Oh Lois! That bottom photo begs to be printed and framed!!! It's stunning!

Lisa Wilson said...

Great photos but I like the last one the best, too!

Rob and Mandy said...

Wow, an aquarium big enough for a basking shark! Seems a fantastic places for small ones and big ones. People, not just sharks