Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Disc Golf Course


 
Posted by Picasa


There is a disc golf course at Tom Brown Park and I did a little research about this game and found out that disc golf is played just like traditional golf, but instead of a ball and clubs, a flying disc (frisbee) is used. The object of the game is to complete each "hole" in the fewest number of throws. The disc is thrown from a tee area to a target (or "hole"). In the first picture you can see what the target looks like. This target is called a pole hole which is an elevated metal basket. Players move down the fairway making each consecutive shot from the spot where the previous throw landed. Like on a regular golf course, obstacles are provided in the form of hills, trees and shrubs. The "hole" is completed when the disc lands in the basket. Click on the second picture to enlarge it and read all the rules. This looks like it would be a fun game for anyone, including kids.

By the way, I have been meaning to mention that I met one of my fellow bloggers in person this past weekend! Her name is Darla and she lives near my daughter's house. Darla has the most beautiful yard and her flowers are just gorgeous! I have been following her blog, More Family and Flowers, for about a year now and if you love flowers, then you really should go visit her. My grandkids enjoyed meeting her too. Thanks Darla!

19 comments:

Hilda said...

Oh hey, that sounds like a lot of fun! And not prohibitively expensive like golf (it is here). I doubt if I'll be good at it though — I have a terrible aim!

Must be fun meeting fellow bloggers, especially if they have blogs that you follow and enjoy!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Tulsa has lots of disc golf courses. I have yet to play my first game. It looks like fun.

Cezar and Léia said...

I know nothing about this game, it looks very interesting!
Glad for the great news that you met the blog friend Darla, it's cool!
Léia

Leif Hagen said...

I want to see Lois in action with a frisbee!

B SQUARED said...

Disc golf? What's next;water polo?

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

I have seen several of these frisbee golf courses in Scottsdale, but I rarely see people playing. Frisbee lends itself to tossing back and forth playing catch and running. Frisbee golf seems to calm for the average frisbee player.

Halcyon said...

I love real golf too much to ever give this a try! ;)

Clytie said...

I have never heard of disc golf ... though I guessed it must have something to do with frisbee. It looks like a blast!

And isn't it fun to meet fellow bloggers? What a wonderful time! If I'm ever in Florida, I'll look you up!

Sunny said...

I've never heard of Disc Golf sounds like it could be fun.
Sunny :)

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» had not heard of this variety of golf until reading your blog post. The things we learn cruising the Blogosphere!

Darla said...

You post the most interesting things Lois. I'm a native of Tallahassee and learn so much from you! Thanks for the link, we need to get together and post a photo of us two...(without the dirt stained mulch covered clothes)

Jacob said...

We have one of these at our Greenway Trail in Ocala...I've not played it (just can't think of it as "golf"!) but a lot of people do and they hold tournaments and seem to have a great time...

Rambling Round said...

Not familiar with this! But it sounds interesting.

VP said...

This is so absurd that would be hugely successful here!

Lucy the Cat said...

I've never heard of this before. I'm terrible at regular golf. I wonder if I would be any good at this version. Probably not.

Pam said...

That's a new game to me but it goes sound like it would be fun to try.

Don and Krise said...

There's a popular frisbee golf course near where I work. Sometimes my wife and I pass it at lunch. If the weather is nice there is almost always someone there.

Tulsa Gentleman said...

Thank you for joining my blog. I appreciate your comments.

Tulsa's Riverpark has two 18 hole (basket?) disc golf courses running its length. I have never played so enjoyed your photograph of the rules. Disc golf is very popular. I read that there are more disc golf courses in the US than regular golf courses.

Kaori said...

I remember playing this when I was little...the more times I threw the frisbee the farther it would go from the goal! I was really bad at it, but had a great time anyways :D