Sunday, January 17, 2010
Old Fort Park
Built near the end of the Civil War during the fall of 1864 as part of a plan to fortify and protect Tallahassee from attacks from the west by the Union Army, this old earthwork fort is located on a hilltop in the Myers Park area. It was originally connected to similar works by trenches and rifle pits. It was named Fort Houstoun because it was located on the Houstoun plantation with vast open fields which at that time surrounded the approaches to the state capitol building and the southeastern section of the city. These fields are now residential and commercial areas. The physical labor to build the fort was done by enslaved African Americans obtained from plantations across Northern Florida. Many of them briefly became Confederate soldiers when their enlistment into a regiment of state troops was authorized by General Samuel Jones following the Battle of Natural Bridge. This area is now known as Old Fort Park. For more information on this historic site, please go here.