Saturday, July 25, 2009

Poor Paul's

 
Posted by Picasa


On Thursday I posted a picture of Mike's Beer Barn which is located right across Tennessee Street from the Florida State University campus. Tennessee Street (or US Highway 90) is the main east/west road through Tallahassee. The area of that runs parallel to the FSU campus is also sometimes been called the Tennessee Street "strip" and it is lined with establishments catering to college students. Another one of these places is Poor Paul's Pourhouse. Poor Paul's has been located here for many years, in fact it was there when I was in college many moons ago. It has been a local right of passage for young people to do what is called the "Tennessee Waltz", hitting all the bars along the strip for drinks on their 21st birthday. If you look closely, you will see a couple of birds up there on that sign enjoying the view.

14 comments:

Eamon said...

What a great name and sign. It just begs you to go in and spend some money!

Darla said...

You are taking me down memory lane,,(well, what I can remember) LOL. I think I had more Poor Paul's Spin the Wheel Money than I had real money at one time!!!

Cezar and Léia said...

oh yes, the birds are a great detail in this picture! I think this place looks cool!
Have a nice weekend dear Lois!
God bless you
Léia

Clytie said...

I love the sign! How cute. Thank you for pointing out the sightseeing birds ... I missed them until I read your comment, then went back and found them.

Abe Lincoln said...

I laughed trying to find words for drunken birds on the sign but gave up when the only word I could think of was. . .

Pick a Peck of Pixels

Bonnie Bonsai said...

I reckon the Pourhouse is a cute name for a drinking pub like that. lol.

Yes, I did see those cutie spies sitting on the post. Great pose they made. Is that part of the sign? Or they just happened to be there at the time you took this photo?

Great one Lois!

TheRandomTraveler said...

The poorhouse...

That's pretty interesting...

I bet their drinks are cheap, at least I would imagine...

James said...

That's a funny sign and I almost missed the birds.

Don and Krise said...

Oh, I'll bet many a wallet has gone home empty. Cool sign.

Hilda said...

LOL! I love the name and the sign!

Lois, did you do the 'Tennessee Waltz' too when you turned 21? If I were there, I think I would have! ;)

Leeds in Yorkshire pictures - Paul said...

Great sign, although I guess most students do not take much enticement to go out and have a few beers.
Leeds in Yorkshire pictures

Lisa Wilson said...

Too funny!

Steffe said...

If they serve Guinness I'm there.

Pam said...

Very cleaver play on words here. I wonder if 'Poor Paul' posed for the sign himself...:D