Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Not in Tallahassee

 
Posted by Picasa


Earlier this week, Frank at Tampa Daily Photo posted a picture of the beautiful Tampa Bay Hotel. It reminded me of an old photo in one of my grandparents' albums, so I went looking for it yesterday. Here it is, a picture of my grandfather, Troup Lucas Biglow, standing in front of the Tampa Bay Hotel in 1922. He was 22 years old at the time and he was on his honeymoon with my grandmother, Lois Gray Biglow, who probably took the picture. Troup's father, my great-grandfather, was Silas Leland Biglow, a prominent citizen of early Tampa who built the beautiful house also featured here on Tampa Daily Photo. Below is a picture of the house taken in 1914 by my grandfather Troup when he was 14 years old and living in the house.



You can click on both pictures to see a larger version and more detail. Please visit Tampa Daily Photo for more pictures of that beautiful city. Frank always provides great information and wonderful commentary to go along with them. Thanks Frank!

19 comments:

Darla said...

Interesting stuff again and how cool. Great house!!

Abe Lincoln said...

Fabulous photos. I just added up his age at 109 if alive today. What a long time ago 1922 seems.

Lois said...

Yes, he was born in 1900, when his father was 59. My great grandfather's first wife died and he married a much younger woman and started a second family.

Jacob said...

I didn't know you were "royalty"! ;-)

Just fascinating. Your grandfather appears, at 22, to be a solid young man, and I love the house.

But can you imagine living in Tampa, or anywhere else in Florida, without air conditioning?

Great post, Lois.

Lois said...

Well Jacob, I grew up in Jacksonville Beach and we didn't get air conditioning in our house until I was in high school. I remember sleeping with the windows open and the fans going all night. Some people would sleep out on their screened porches in the summer. Fortunately, we did get a breeze off of the ocean some of the time!

Beth Niquette said...

Hello, dear one,

Thank you so much for your prayers and thoughts. Dad is doing much better—but now there is an additional threat of pneumonia. Mom is very sore and bruised all over, but is better. Please continue to pray for their recovery. I can’t tell you how much it means to me and to my family, that you are praying. ((hugs))

Warmly,
Beth :o]

Eamon said...

Great post and fabulous old pics. I hope you have scanned them! Your great-great granddaughter has a better chance of blogging about them in the 22nd century if you have good quality digital copies...

Clytie said...

Great heritage! How wonderful to have it well documented. Were you named for your grandmother "Lois"?

Lois said...

Yes Clytie, in fact both of my grandmothers were named Lois so I was named for both.

Don and Krise said...

Lois, these are so great. They had me hopping back and forth from here to Frank's blog. This has inspired me to dig out my old photos, something I've been talking about doing for months. I'll end up posting a few too.

Pam said...

Lois, you sure do have quite a long family history here in Florida. What wonderful memories you have, thanks for sharing them.

Leeds photography - Paul said...

Great post Lois, never heard of anyone called Troup before. Great to be named after both grandmothers, I guess that doesnt happen too often.

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. I compared the photos. The palm on the left has really grown.

Louis

Clueless in Boston said...

It's great to see the old family photos.

Tash said...

Oh, this is one of my favorite types of posts - family photos with connection to a current place & another blogger. Terrific job. The house looks similar (although much grander) to one where my father-in-law grew up in Los Angeles.

Bergson said...

The house is very nice, it seems very large for the time

JM said...

Both old shots are lovely, Lois! Now I'm going to check Tampa DP.

magicpolaroid said...

hello! luv this vintage pictures! maybe are polaroid?

Lisa Wilson said...

What wonderful photos! I'm sure you are so happy you have them.