Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Watery Wednesday

 
Posted by Picasa




One of the Lake Jackson boat ramps near where I live. Click to enlarge the picture and you can see a boat speeding away in the distance. I liked the signs in this picture. In case you're wondering why motorized vehicles are prohibited on the lake bottom, it's because the lake bottom becomes exposed periodically as a result of Lake Jackson's long history of completely draining into the Florida Aquifer about every 25 years through the two large sinkholes lying beneath it. For this reason, the lake was known to native Americans as "Disappearing Waters". The last time it drained was September 16, 1999. Please visit Watery Wednesday for more beautiful watery pictures!

I won't be able to go visiting your blogs for a few days because I'm going to be busy with a friend's wedding festivities this week. I will catch up after it's over!

13 comments:

Abe Lincoln said...

Disappearing Waters sounds to me like an interesting place with the birding trail located there as well.

Julie said...

I have often wanted to be a birder but its one of those things that folks never quite get around to doing. I like the stylised bird in the sign. And I like all that talk about acquifiers and sink holes ...

Cezar and Léia said...

Beautiful shot!
Hey Hey! Good news! A weeding it's always wonderful event!
Take your time dear Lois and enjoy your time with your friends there!
Léia

Pam said...

A delightful post as always, Lois. We have enjoyed walking some of the birding trails, there are terrific.
Enjoy the wedding :D

Rambling Round said...

Birding Trails are really popular these days. Have a wonderful week!

Clytie said...

Yes I wondered about the motorized vehicle on the lake bottom sign ... Have you ever seen the lake when it was dry? I think it would be kind of eerie.

B Squared said...

Have a good time. I am heading north tomorrow for the summer. Will be posting a little less frequently.

Darla said...

Yep, know right where this is located too! We must be neighbors.

JM said...

A birding trail! I would love to do it! Also like the sign.

Unseen Rajasthan said...

Another Fascinating post!!Really Great...Disappearing water this sounds mysterious...Unseen Rajasthan

Lisa Wilson said...

Another wedding!! Good luck!

Jacob said...

A disappearing lake. Amazing stuff you have up their in Tallahassee...and I thought it was just taxpayer money that disappeared!

That is the chicken said...

wow! that's a lot of signs! Hope your wedding is lots of fun!