Saturday, May 23, 2009
St. Clement's Chapel
Built in the small town of Lloyd near Tallahassee in 1890, this Episcopal chapel was dedicated as St. Clement's Church on June 14, 1895, by Edwin Gardner Weed, 3rd Bishop of Florida. William Betton of Tallahassee designed and built the structure at a cost of $3,500. The furnishings are the original ones, including the pine pews and reed organ. The Bishop's Chair, oldest in Florida, dates from 1838 and is the only one in existence that the first five Bishops of Florida all used. The chapel was moved to this site near Episcopal Church of the Advent on Piedmont Road in Tallahassee and rededicated on November 29, 1959, by Edward Hamilton West, 5th Bishop of Florida.