The First Presbyterian Church sanctuary is the oldest public building in Tallahassee. Construction was started in 1835 and completed in 1838. This church contains original slave galleries. Unusual for the times, slaves were admitted to membership. The roof woodwork was mortised and pinned, no nails were used in the original building. The steeple houses the original bell. During the Civil War, the bell was offered to the Confederacy to be melted down to make cannons, but the offer was not accepted. In early days, the sanctuary was used when needed as a place of refuge for women and children when the men went out to guard the town against Indian uprisings. Though not visible from the exterior, rifle slots are built into the foundation walls. This church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.