Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Recyclers


These two turkey vultures showed up in my neighborhood after a car hit an armadillo crossing the road the night before. The armadillo carcass was originally in the road and I'm not sure if the turkey vultures moved it into the grass or someone moved it for them. After I took this picture and started to walk away, another one swooped in and landed nearby. It was then that I decided it was time for me to get on down the road! A few weeks ago I saw a small red fox that had also been hit by a car not far from this spot. I wish people would just slow down!

8 comments:

JM said...

It's really a shame wildlife keep on being killed this way (or any other I must say...)! You have such nice fauna around there.

Abraham Lincoln said...

It does seem like by now, with decades of experiences in killing with cars, that the highway departments would either put fences up or tunnels here and there under the road so animals can cross without getting killed. I hate it when animals are killed -- because many of them have babies at home waiting on mom to get back and feed them. I cannot imagine what happens when she never returns.

Pam said...

I like the title of your post, sad but true. Mother Nature provides for all creatures great and small!

Boise Diva said...

Wow. We have a road in our town where wild animals often become victims....we refer to it as their highway to heaven.

bitingmidge said...

Vultures, armadillos, fox; it all seems such exotic road kill.

It hadn't occurred to me that others would see echidna, kangaroo and galahs in a similar light! Rather than slow down, many here fit "bull bars" to the front of their vehicles to minimise impact damage!

Paul - leeds daily photo said...

I have never seen an armadillo outside of a zoo and the same applies to the turkey vulture. You sure do exotic around Tallassee, even when its dead.

magiceye said...

the vultures' dining area!

RecycleBill said...

Ah! Now we have proof! It could be you have saved the world!