The Murphy House is next door to the Wood House. It was built in 1838 also probably by George Proctor in the Gothic Revival style. Prominent early residents included Susan Branch Hopkins, daughter of Florida’s last Territorial Governor, and Dr. George W. Betton, an important early physician. The house has been owned by the Murphy family since 1928. During the post Civil War federal occupation of Tallahassee, Union troops quartered in the house and stabled their horses in the basement.