Friday, January 23, 2009

Hard Freeze


Around here when the temperature dips to 25 degrees or below for up to 4 to 8 hours, it's called a "hard freeze". A hard freeze warning means it's time to protect the 3 p's: pets, pipes and plants. We had a hard freeze warning night before last and this is what my birdbath looked like when I got up yesterday morning to a temperature of 19 degrees. This is supposed to be Florida! Unfortunately the hard freeze warnings extended further south in the state too and that means the citrus and vegetable crops suffered some damage.

9 comments:

JM said...

I would never guess it could be that cold out there in Florida! I'm amazed!

Mo said...

I agree with JM. I don't associate Florida with these kind of temperatures. What do the birds do?

arctic dreamer said...

I remember when we went to Florida once for Xmas people were saying it was "cold" - it was 50 F as I remember. Now you TRULY are cold!

Paul - Leeds daily photo said...

Hi Lois
Like JM I am astounded that Florida ever saw temperatures that low. I always thought you just basked in the daily sunshine.

Lois said...

It doesn't seem to bother the birds. They were at my feeder bright and early. I did however pour some hot water in the bird bath to thaw it out and replace the water. The temperature later got up to 60 degrees in the afternoon--a 40 degree temperature swing! Today it is supposed to be 70 degrees. Nice, but these wild temperature changes always seem to make me come down with a cold!

Pam said...

Wow, I thought it was cold here in Jupiter, Fl at 46.. I guess I'll stop complaining ;) Brrr

Lisa Wilson said...

Not good news for orange juice drinkers. :( I can imagine how all the tourists feel that went there to escape the winter weather.

Tamera said...

Wow, that's pretty cold! I believe that was our high temp today in Colorado Springs. I didn't realize that Tallahassee sees temps like that too!

Christina and photography by Buddy said...

That's neat, I will have to see if the water in my bird bath will freeze this year or not
Christina