Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Florida A & M University


Besides FSU, Tallahassee is the home of another state university which, like FSU, is located right in the middle of the city. Founded in 1887 as the State Normal College for Colored Students, Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU) is the only historically state supported educational facility for African Americans in Florida. It has always been co-educational. In 1890, the second Morrill Act was passed enabling the school to become the Black Land Grant College for the State of Florida. In 1891, the college was moved from its original location west of town to its present location, which was once the site of “Highwood,” Territorial Governor W.P. Duval’s slave plantation. It is on one of the highest hills in Tallahassee. The school was known as Florida A & M College from 1909 until 1953, when it attained university status. In 1996, the historic Florida A & M campus was listed in the National Register of Historic Places based on the school’s historic significance and the architectural style of its buildings. FAMU is also the home of the famed Marching 100 band. Look for this band marching down Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, DC today in President Barack Obama's Inaugural Parade!

3 comments:

JM said...

Great information to go with the photo.
At 4pm I will be seating in front of the tv to watch the inauguration broadcast and I will try to find out which band you are refering to :-)

Hilda said...

I like how you've commemorated Obama's inauguration! I'm really praying for him — he has big tasks ahead of him and needs the help of a lot of good people.

Dan said...

The A&M band is the most exciting marching band I've ever seen. When I was a kid I'd get in front of the crowd at parades so that when the Rattlers came marching by, I'd be as close as possible. The notes of the bass drums vibrated all through me, and I was thrilled by their high stepping style and their flying orange and green capes.