Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Anole


I noticed this little guy sunning himself on the outside wall of a store as I was coming out. He was green when I first spotted him, but by the time I got back with my camera he had turned brown. This anole is probably a juvenile because he is small (about 3 inches long) and has the white stripe down his back. I have a lot of these little anole lizards around my house, but I don't mind because they eat bugs. They like to get between the screen and the glass on my back door and lurk there all day annoying my cat. Their eyes move independently of each other and this anole was watching me very intently while I snapped his picture. Another interesting fact about this creature is that if you grab him by his tail, it will probably detach and wiggle around for awhile. The anole will just grow another tail. It is one of the ways they escape from predators. Click on the picture to get up close and personal with him.

7 comments:

Paul said...

Hi Lois
Nice picture today, am pleased to note you prefer the lizards to the bugs. We do not have many lizards here, even the common lizard ( cannot be that common I have yet to see one since I came to yorkshire 25 years or so back) I am not counting ones seen in France whilst on vacation. I used to live in Cyprus and had a gecko in my room, he ate quite a few bugs.

Lois said...

Hi Paul--I have geckos in my garage and occasionally one will sneak into the house. Last year I had one in my bedroom hiding behind a picture hanging on the wall. I tried to catch him but he was too fast. I never saw him again. I think they eat roaches so I don't mind them being around as long as they leave me alone!

JM said...

Cute little fellow! Changing colour and having independently moving eyes I guess he wants you to believe he's a chameleon :-)

Tanya said...

How cute, I can see him looking at you! As a kid, we used to catch lizards all the time when we went camping, many lost their tails because of us, but grew them back too!

hadv said...

We have lizards here too.. all varieties. The small ones we call houselizards cos they eat the bugs. The large ones, we keep away from us cos they're scary. Hahaha..

magiceye said...

cool capture!

Lisa Wilson said...

We had an anole as a pet one time. I think we bought him at the Tulsa State Fair.