The Jacksonville, Pensacola and Mobile Railroad Company Freight Depot was built in 1858. It is one of the oldest railroad buildings in Florida. The one-story depot was built when Tallahassee was the center of Florida's cotton trade. The 2 story addition was added around 1885. Cotton was transported by rail to the coast for shipping. A new rail line between Pensacola and Jacksonville provided access to ports and made transporting both freight and passengers easier. It was used continuously until 1971 when, for the first time in 113 years, passenger service ended. Tallahassee was a freight only stop until 1992 when passenger services resumed, with the old freight depot used as the passenger station. Passenger service on this line has been unavailable since August 2005 due to lingering effects from hurricane Katrina to the west.